I am now on my 4th round of egg fasting this month! Yes - that is a total of 13 out of the last 20 days (commenced August 1st) with the intervals of 4 days on, 3 days off.
The most remarkable results to note are:
- Prominent decrease in hunger cravings - eliminating the urge for any emotional eating and reaching satiety quickly
- Little to no bloating experienced
- Total weightloss of 6lbs (note slight increase after each fast completion, will explain below)
- Body composition retention - no muscle mass loss
- Deep ketosis: waking up with over 1-1.5mmol or higher daily during the fast
Recommendations to avoid adverse reactions:
- Fibre intake is low during the keto egg fast, as such I took magnesium and a digestive enzyme (with ox bile) to breakdown the fats in my liver with more ease
- Do not binge on foods post fast to avoid gaining back weight and cravings, ease in with sauteed spinach, bone froth and lighter foods
- Make experience a bit of bloating when re-introducing vegetables post egg fast. Recommend smaller portions to start!
I caution those who go off of the egg fast with the mentality to stuff all the other keto foods in their bellies. You will fill back up with water retention and notice some stomach discomfort if you choose this method. I ended up having one really high calorie day post fast and put on 2.5lbs in one day. However, a day later it went back down by 1.5lbs, so be cognizant not to rush to get back to heavier foods!
On average, my fat intake exceeded 80% of my total daily caloric intake, with a small amount of incidental carbs from the eggs and cheese, and the rest in the form of protein.
What I found fascinating is that I NEVER became disinterested of the eggs. This is due in part to saturating them with copious amounts of butter, but moreover because I chose to experiment with recipes to liven up each day.
The following are some of my top selections for EGG FAST recipes that you can implement, borrowed from my favourite keto advocates!